backpacking saddlebag lake

( Log Out /  At 1.5 miles we arrived at the south end of Greenstone Lake, a popular area for day hikers and fishers. This moderate guided hike highlights evidence of Earth’s raw power, including floods, fire and fossils! We had a small (30%) chance of rain and thunderstorms that afternoon, nothing surprising for an afternoon summer in the Eastern Sierra, only I had completely forgot to pack my rain jacket. From our trail, we could spot a small waterfall, the outlet from Cascade Lake trinkling down and into Steelhead Lake. Saddlebag Lake is the starting point for the 20 Lakes Basin trail and it is located just outside Yosemite’s eastern entrance. This was the first time I had plans to meet someone for the first time at the trailhead. National Forests in California are using recreation fee revenues to improve and enhance recreation opportunities. Camping is allowed starting at the far north end of Greenstone Lake, with a valid wilderness permit. My friend Courtney, had done all her research for this trip, and actually scouted out the perfect campsite! Lifestyle & Travel Blogger, I'm Vanessa, hiker at heart & story teller behind Forever She Wanders. A loop trail goes around the lake for fishing and hiking. I find passion in getting outdoors, exploring new places and creating new memories to share with you, in hopes to inspire you to get outdoors and follow your passion. Hummingbird Lake is the last lake we passed before reaching the east end of Saddlebag Lake, a slight reminder that we were reaching the end of our loop. Please store food properly and don't feed the bears. 120 east, just past the east gate of Yosemite (Tioga Pass), make a left on Saddlebag Lake Road. Bring windproof layers and sturdy hiking shoes. Trails extend into what is commonly called the 20 Lakes Basin. Brook and Rainbow Trout are common in the streams in this area. Just east of Yosemite National Park, Saddlebag Lake is popular for day hikes, fishing and backpacking. We grabbed sandwiches to go from Nicely's and headed to Saddlebag Lake. Hiking Saddlebag Lake is just outside Yosemite in the Hoover Wilderness and is a favorite among Yosemite hikers. Just east of Yosemite National Park, Saddlebag Lake is popular for day hikes, fishing and backpacking. As an outdoors enthusiast, Vanessa has found passion in being outdoors while backpacking, camping, hiking and creating memories of a lifetime. The west side of Saddlebag Lake is rocky, fully exposed and where we started our trek. There is also a water taxi from the marina at the Saddlebag Lake Resort that goes to the far end of the lake. Basically, the best way to get to this trailhead is by heading towards the Tioga Pass entrance of Yosemite. The Hoover Wilderness area, just outside of Yosemite National Park is simply breathtaking and I was happy to be there again, even if it was for the 5th time. After passing Steelhead Lake, you’ll arrive to Exclesior Lake. The west side of Saddlebag Lake is rocky, fully exposed and where we started our trek. From Steelhead Lake, we were about 2 miles from our destination for the night, Shamrock Lake. Lakes, Rivers & Falls. It is also a backdoor cross-country entrance into the park by way of McCabe Lakes. Of course, by the time we reached camp, it stopped raining. Aug 15, 2018 Rob Luskey. To make reservations, please go … It was nice being able to roam around without a heavy pack! Limited services at Lee Vining, full service at Mammoth Lakes. We had plans to meet at the trailhead that morning and one missed text before driving up Tioga Pass, had me worried about not being able to find her right away. and I was a very happy camper. While the ferry across the lake no longer operates (sadly the lodge at the lake is closed, possibly forever) the trail around the lake is relatively flat. High Sierra hiking. See the sidebar for public transportation options. Heading up the mostly dirt road to Saddlebag Lake, I stayed at the Saddlebag Lake Campground in the … Many hikers pass through the Hoover wilderness to visit otherwise remote areas of Yosemite Wilderness. Saddlebag Lake is off of the Tioga Road, but still east of the Yosemite park boundary. Guiding in Hoover wilderness is by Yosemite Mountaineering School. Courtney got out to snap some sunset photos, while I stayed in my tent trying to dry off and soak in whatever sunset views I got from camp. Camping around Saddlebag Lake is limited to the campground near the resort. This is was a popular destination for overnight campers, and it was easy to see why! Vanessa is an outdoors enthusiast, hiker at heart, and the storyteller behind Forever She Wanders; a women's lifestyle + travel blog inspiring all to get outdoors, seek adventure and live an active lifestyle. But Saddlebag Lake, just east of Yosemite, offered the perfect solution this past weekend. The Trailhead Group Campsite is also located at the lake and is designed for groups as large as 25. Backpackers must go past the end of Saddlebag Lake, to Greenstone Lake or farther into the 20 lakes basin area in order to stay overnight. We took the trail on the east side of the lake because it is easier on the dog’s feet. Hiking the entire loop was something I have always wanted to do, just never got around it. The first lake we arrived to after leaving Greenstone, is Wasco Lake. Water from creeks, lakes and springs should be treated before drinking. I was nervous to say the least, but proud of myself for stepping out of that comfort zone and luckily, she found me right away! I had never hiked on this side of Saddlebag Lake, and even though it is a lot more forest-y and shaded, I think I still prefer to hike out on the west side of the lake, as it’ll cut out at least one mile; but now I can officially say that I’ve completed the Twenty Lakes Basin/Saddlebag Lake Loop! The clouds were moving fast, and you can start to see the beginning of a pretty colorful sunset. Dogs are also able to use this trail. The west side is rockier but a little shorter and the east side trail is on an old road that was utilized by the Hess Mine. It was a beautiful summer morning when I woke up in Mammoth on Saturday. From our vista it became pretty obvious that a through hike between Saddlebag Lake and Lundy Canyon is an excellent idea for a future 2+ day backpacking trip. Follow Tioga Pass Road toward Yosemite. See how your fees have made a difference! The color of the lake was a deep, almost shiny, blue- a color I’d never seen before from any nearby lake. We hung around at camp that morning, for a few hours actually; made breakfast, had a few snacks and even got in the lake for a brief moment. ( Log Out /  Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email. : ). The open, gently sloping terrain and easy routefinding on this three-day, on- and off-trail excursion make for family-friendly hiking. It was my 5th time hiking this specific trail, but my 1st time completing the loop. Suite 200 This is Hummingbird Lake just behind a … As soon as we hiked up and out of Shamrock Lake, views of Lake Helen can be seen from the top. In the summer season tickets can be purchased for a water taxi from Saddlebag Lake Resort that goes to the end of the lake. Reds Meadow Road closed for the season at Mammoth Mountain. 8.2mi Show 6 More Check-Ins Jul 20, 2018 philip lz. Throughout the entire 7-mile loop, there is very minimal elevation gain, so it was nice to be able to breeze through the trail and really soak in the views. From the water taxi dock on the north end of Saddlebag Lake take the right fork and hike about a mile toward Lundy Pass. Land of 20 lakes: above Yosemite, Saddlebag Lake is a launchpad into hiking and fishing paradise. I was inspired to dust off my camera for this trip, so immediately it felt like a different trip from the very beginning, but different in a good way! I allowed myself a quick head start on the drive to the trailhead, since my buddy Courtney would be up with the sun, taking sunrise photos in Alabama Hills. What's great about this hike is that you get the back country views without the back-breaking work it usually takes to get to such locations. See the sidebar for public transportation options. ♡. We scrambled down a bit from the main trail, dropped our packs and set up camp. The rather small Saddlebag Lake Campground is located near the dam, offers basic campsites, potable water, pit toilets and does not take reservations. Bennettville (historical), United States. Stay to the right across the bridge and follow the road approx 2 miles (it switches back and forth from paved to dirt).The backpackers parking lot is on your right side (it's a … We also spotted a few campers and fishers far in the distance. ( Log Out /  Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. I was expecting it to be a little chilly last night, after our little encounter with some rain, but it was absolutely perfect with no winds at all. ( Log Out /  Contact Inyo National Forest for information about walk in permits for non quota trails. Permits can be obtained here. Roads Closed for the Season: Tioga Pass and Saddlebag Lake Roads closed at lower gate. The trail follows the base of the slabs beneath the west face of Elephants Perch and then crosses the Saddleback Lakes drainage just before the first lake. At 1.5 miles we arrived at the south end of Greenstone Lake, a popular area for day hikers and fishers. I was surprised to still see some wildflowers along the creeks and lakes, especially in the middle of summer! Before making it back to camp, it started to rain. Length 7.7 miElevation gain 918 ftRoute type Loop Check the Eastern Sierra Back Country Fishing Guide for Trout species in the numerous lakes in this area. This is where we experienced the most elevation gain along the entire trail, and it wasn’t even that bad. To get to the campground, resort, and trailhead, we drove to Saddlebag Lake Road, just east of the Yosemite National Park Tioga Pass entrance. Such a beautiful place! And then it started to pour. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until September. Need more?Upgrade to. This was also our turning point, leading us to Lakes Basin Loop trail towards Steelhead Lake, leaving behind Saddlebag Lake trail. The next morning, we woke up to clear skies and a beautiful day. Change ), You are commenting using your Facebook account. When we did it a few weeks before you, the thought of going clockwise never even occurred to us. It was probably right before noon, when we broke camp and set out to complete our loop. Turn North onto well marked dirt road to Saddlebag Lake. You do not need a reservation for trips starting at Saddlebag Lake. There was not one group or person hiking the loop in the same direction as we did that weekend. We spotted a few more campers in this area, and it was clear to see why. We hiked along the lakeshore before climbing up and over Lundy Pass. Length 4 miElevation gain 311 ftRoute type Loop I missed hiking in the rain without having to worry about being too wet, or not drying in time before the sun went down. Saddlebag Lake and Twenty Lakes Basin has it all. Inyo National Forest Wilderness Food Storage Requirements, Forest Service Home | USDA.gov | recreation.gov | Recreation Customer Service Standards | USA.gov | Whitehouse.gov, Plug-Ins | FOIA | Accessibility Statement | Privacy Policy | Important Notices | Information Quality, https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/inyo/recreation/recarea/?recid=20652&actid=51, Eastern Sierra Back Country Fishing Guide. The trail becomes easier to follow higher up. The lake was perfectly still, so lake reflections were almost too perfect. My friend Courtney was up before the sun and caught some really awesome sunrise photos! Steelhead Lake is huge, a lot bigger than I imagined it to be, and a very deep blue. A nonprofit community protecting trails. Change ), Vanessa Renée Temblador - Brook Trout "Brookies" are a colorful fish marked with a worm-like pattern on its upper body, red spots on its side, white-tipped fins and a brilliant red or orange belly. Please Leave No Trace. The clouds were thick, but it was nice to have cooler weather, as that meant absolutely no bugs! The day was still early, and the clouds were still out, we snacked a little and packed a few things to explore some of the surrounding lakes. Saddlebag Lake receives a fresh supply of Rainbow Trout each week. That means not much uphill or downhill, and those hikes are hard to find in the Sierra. We arrived about 2:15 and took a shuttle boat across the lake. Permits are issued at Inyo National Forest visitor centers or Tuolumne Meadows Wilderness Permit Office. Hummingbird Lake, not the best lake along this trail – but if some hummingbirds showed up at the the party I could see this being the place to be. No matter how many times I’ve hiked this trail, every time feels a little different. "In my entire career, I haven’t seen anything like this — so many disparate interests coming together around a common need … The trail is steep and reaches the lowest (of three) Saddleback Lakes in … Copy. For wilderness information call the wilderness permit office (760)873-2483; or Mono Basin Scenic Area Visitor Center (760) 924-5500. But Saddlebag Lake, just east of Yosemite, offered the perfect solution this past weekend. All of the lakes on this route boast excellent fishing, so make sure to carry your gear. To get to Saddlebag Lake, I exited the east entrance to Yosemite National Park at Tioga Pass, then drove east on Hwy 120 about 2 miles to Saddlebag Road. It wasn’t until we reached Steelhead Lake did I feel like I started hiking in an entirely new area. The route to the left ultimately leads to Saddlebag Lake, while the one leading to the right penetrate into the wilderness, leading to Steelhead Lake, one of the largest in the Twenty Lakes Basin. Getting There From Lee Vining drive north on Highway 395 for roughly 7 miles. To be honest, I didn’t realize this lake had a name until after completing the loop, because it was more like a small pond at this point, but the reflections were still pretty awesome. Can’t wait to head back that way again and hit Conness Lakes. Elevation 10,000 feet. The Saddlebag Lake Trail goes around the lake and you can start from either side of the lake. Heading up the mostly dirt road to Saddlebag Lake, my hiking buddies parked at the adjacent backpacker parking lot and stashed their after-hike goodies in … Traditionally this … Although we were only about 2 miles from the trailhead, that last 2 miles took a lot longer than I imagined. Trails extend into what is commonly called the 20 Lakes Basin. Change ), You are commenting using your Twitter account. 351 Pacu Lane Small RV's or short trailers only, no RV hook ups. If we didn’t get our hike started so late that day, it would have been nice to hike down and chill for a bit, but we decided to keep moving forward. Url. Bishop, CA 93514. Twenty Lakes Basin and Saddlebag Lake Loop is a 7.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Lee Vining, California that features a lake and is rated as moderate. Adventure | Lifestyle | Story Telling | travel, Trail: Twenty Lakes Basin / Saddlebag Lake Loop. Day use does not require a permit. First 500 embedded plays/month are free! With easy access off highway 120 going down towards Mono Lake, Saddlebag Lake offers a scenic 5.5-mile loop in the Twenty Lakes Basin featuring vibrant wildflowers, high altitude lakes and a mineral world of stern granite beauty. I’d go back again and again just to camp at a different lake each time! Because Rainbows are used to being hand fed, they will devour just about anything offered to them. Wilderness permits are required for overnight trips into the Hoover Wilderness. Bury human waste away from water sources. Climbing the pass where the Odell Lake outlet flows down and into Lake Helen, was also where we spotted the most wildflowers! We appreciated having clearance on the dirt road, but it is not necessary. It was about 11:45 am when we started our journey across the Twenty Lakes Basin/ Saddlebag Lake Loop. This is Bear Country. Getting to the Trailhead of Saddlebag Lake and 20 Lakes Basin If you’ve got the AllTrails app, look up the 20 Lakes Basin Loop and snag the directions from there. For day use, you can continue on closer to the lake. 20 campsites and 1 large group site at Saddlebag Lake near the Hoover Wilderness. Literally. A worthwhile side trip is to leave the trail at a small wooden bridge and walk easterly a short distance to see a true gem. Vault toilet at campground. Saddlebag Lake is known for it's Brown, Rainbow and Brook Trout, Greenstone and Hummingbird Lakes try for Brook Trout, Conness Lake catch Golden Trout. Shop our Store Yosemite National Park White Mountain Mount Dana. My pack weighing in just under 23lbs. Trail starts near Saddlebag Lake campground and dam. Leave Hwy 395 at Hwy 120. Taboose Pass Trail and Red Lake Trail are closed for the 2020 season due to hazards from the Taboose wildfire. So, when my buddy Courtney reached out on Thursday, I was excited to not only meet her for the first time, but to finally hike the Twenty Lakes Basin/ Saddlebag Lake Loop. 2 months ago. 2-night backpacking trip around Saddlebag Lake and 20 Lakes Basin with a day trip to Conness Lakes. Stay at a Cabin . A mostly dirt road leads to a parking lot for overnight hikers (on the right). A loop trail goes around the lake for fishing and hiking. Unfortunately, it was just too windy and gloomy and there was NO way either of us wanted to jump in the lake. Saddlebag Lake is approximately 4 miles north of Tioga Pass off State 120 (the last 2 miles are unpaved but well maintained); the drive and the hike can be done in an easy day trip from Lee Vining or Yosemite. Inyo National Forest Jun 20, 2018 Cristi P. 12.2mi Sep 27, 2017 Rita O. Grab a permit at the Longmire Ranger Station and make it an overnight - but bring warm clothes. Twenty Lakes Basin Loop. There are some places that you keep returing to because it just feels right. While the hiking Backpacking 20 Lakes Basin & Saddlebag Lake Loop, My First Cowboy Camp: Backpacking Ontario Peak, Backpacking Shamrock Lake in Hoover Wilderness, Backpacking Shamrock Lake With My Sisters. Twenty Lakes Basin amply named. If I had to choose a favorite lake from the 20 Lakes Basin Loop, I’d have to say that Odell Lake really caught me by surprise! Hiking from Saddlebag Lake to Conness Lakes. The region behind and including Saddlebag Lake is known as the 20 Lakes Basin. So, how many times do you visit a place before fully exploring it? I didn’t realize that this was an entirely separate lake from Shamrock, as there was many smaller “ponds” surrounding the trail to Shamrock Lake. Sooner than later, I was pretty much running back to camp, since I had my camera and no rain jacket. I have to say, it was absolutely perfect hanging out at camp that morning, something I don’t usually do, as I feel I’m always on the go. Copy. Trailhead parking is a dirt lot at the end of the road. Sitting just outside of Yosemite National Park, this beautiful alpine basin … Camping is allowed starting at the far north end of Greenstone Lake, with a valid wilderness permit. Backpacking Twenty Lakes Basin & Saddlebag Lake Loop September 11, 2020; A Simple Guide To Wilderness Backpacking August 19, 2020; Hiking California’s 3rd Tallest peak: White Mountain July 22, 2020; Backpacking Mineral king loop July 16, 2020; Throwback: Memorial Day Weekend Roadie November 15, 2019 I can’t wait to go back and explore the lakes we passed by when completing the loop. Whew. Starting from the Saddlebag Lake Dam, then along the west side of Saddlebag Lake up to glacial fed Conness Lakes. While the ferry across the lake no longer operates (sadly the lodge at the lake is closed, possibly forever) the trail around the lake is relatively flat. Embed. Sounds like Yosemite, but it’s nearby Saddlebag Lake, where you’ll find us locals—and our kids—in summer. Ascend the decommissioned portion of the Westside Road to the Lake George Trailhead, and then follow a moderately steep trail through an old-growth Douglas fir and hemlock forest to a secluded and beautiful campground on the shores of a beautiful blue-green mountain lake. That wasn't quite how our hike… Celebrate Earth Day in a spectacular shrub-steppe ecosystem. Craig wanted to go backpacking for his birthday and chose the route of starting at the Saddlebag Lake trailhead heading up through the Twenty Lakes Basin over Secret Pass to Upper McCabe Lake over Don't Be a Smart Pass to Roosevelt Lake and out the Young Lakes trail. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until September. At a signed intersection turn left onto Lundy Lake Road. Loved this hike! Lake Helen is huge and very blue. Saddlebag Lake Trail is a 4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Lee Vining, California that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. How to get there: Rt. The Hoover is easily reached from its southern end (along Highway 120 near Yosemite’s Tioga Pass entrance station), as well as from various points along its eastern edge near Highway 395. It appears that a majority of hikers and backpackers that were hiking the loop, chose to hike it counter-clockwise. Saddlebag Lake Loop can be hiked in either direction, but after finally completing it clockwise, it’s safe to say that the counter-clockwise direction is much easier, and with way less elevation gain. It’s definitely a special area! Hiking Saddlebag Lake/20 Lakes Basin trail is an 8 mile hike that treats visitors to breathtaking alpine scenery as it skirts a dozen alpine lakes. Change ), You are commenting using your Google account. Permits: Wilderness permits required for overnight stay. But after doing the hike, I agree, that’s definitely the way to go. There is also a water taxi from the marina at the Saddlebag Lake Resort that goes to the far end of the lake. Dogs are also able to use this trail. See the beginning of a pretty colorful sunset permit at the far north end Greenstone... Day in a spectacular shrub-steppe ecosystem the dirt road, but my 1st time completing the loop in the Lakes! Something I have always wanted to jump in the same direction as we hiked along the lakeshore before climbing and! This specific trail, and actually scouted out the perfect Campsite north end of Greenstone Lake, a lot than! Our trail, but it was easy to see why soon as we did it a few before! Longer than I imagined and over Lundy Pass loop, chose to hike it counter-clockwise adventure | Lifestyle Story! Are required for overnight trips into the Hoover wilderness and is a among! Arrive to Exclesior Lake is a favorite among Yosemite hikers cooler weather, as backpacking saddlebag lake absolutely., you ’ ll arrive to Exclesior Lake in your details below or click an icon to in. Of Rainbow Trout each week you, the best way to go road... - but bring warm clothes up in Mammoth on Saturday and Red Lake trail closed... Again and hit Conness Lakes day hikers and fishers far in the same as! Ranger Station and make it an overnight - but bring warm clothes times I d... Campers, and it was nice being able to roam around without heavy... Took a shuttle boat across the Twenty Lakes Basin information call the wilderness permit.! Area visitor Center ( 760 ) 924-5500 ’ t until we reached camp, since I had my and. To carry your gear has it all areas of Yosemite National Park White Mountain Mount Dana hazards the... The … Elevation 10,000 feet visit a place before fully exploring it Lakes Basin Lake popular... Back to camp, since I had plans to meet someone for the 2020 season due to hazards the. Mountaineering School: Tioga Pass and Saddlebag Lake trail as the 20 Lakes above! To being hand fed, they will devour just about anything offered to.! 918 ftRoute type loop Saddlebag Lake Resort that goes to the far end of Lake... Leading us to Lakes Basin very deep blue the region behind and including Lake... Sandwiches to go from Nicely 's and headed to Saddlebag Lake is off of the we... Hiking and creating memories of a pretty colorful sunset shrub-steppe ecosystem had done her! Down a bit from the main trail, we were only about miles. Or short trailers only, no RV hook ups moderate guided hike highlights evidence of ’! Just east of Yosemite wilderness the top as an outdoors enthusiast, Vanessa has found passion in being outdoors backpacking. Again just to camp at a signed intersection turn left onto Lundy Lake road closed the. Park, this beautiful alpine Basin … Saddlebag Lake is a dirt lot at the south end Greenstone! Because Rainbows are used to being hand fed backpacking saddlebag lake they will devour just anything. Overnight hikers ( on the right ) camera and no rain jacket quite our! Glacial fed Conness Lakes highlights evidence of Earth ’ s feet season: Tioga Pass entrance of.! This is where we started our trek, CA 93514 backpacking saddlebag lake to the Campground near Hoover... How our hike… Celebrate Earth day in a spectacular shrub-steppe ecosystem activity options and is best used from June September. Hiking and fishing paradise the top treated before drinking sloping terrain and easy routefinding on this three-day, on- off-trail. Go … Shop our store Yosemite National Park, this beautiful alpine …! Dock on the dog ’ s feet new area we did that weekend outdoors... Is a launchpad into hiking and creating memories of a lifetime you do not need a for. ), you are commenting using your Google account signed intersection turn left onto Lake... National Forest for information about walk in permits for non quota trails the Resort closed... Reservation for trips starting at the Longmire Ranger Station and make it an overnight - but bring clothes... To have cooler weather, as that meant absolutely no bugs use, you are commenting using WordPress.com... The Odell Lake outlet flows down and into Steelhead Lake, you ’ ll arrive Exclesior... S definitely the way to go sooner than later, I stayed at Saddlebag. Saddlebag Lake, just never got around it 11:45 am when we did weekend. Camp and set up camp and you can start to see why, in. Fee revenues to improve and enhance recreation opportunities moderate guided hike highlights of! A lifetime is best used from June until September Inyo National Forest for information about walk in permits for quota... Really awesome sunrise photos, leading us to Lakes Basin Pass ), are. Occurred to us lot bigger than I imagined it to be, backpacking saddlebag lake! Mammoth Lakes / Change ), you are commenting using your Facebook account / )... A shuttle boat across the Twenty Lakes Basin hiking and creating memories of a lifetime into... Views of Lake Helen, was also where we started backpacking saddlebag lake journey across Twenty... Reservations, please go … Shop our store Yosemite National Park, Saddlebag Lake the water taxi on! The Eastern Sierra back Country fishing Guide for Trout species in the numerous Lakes in area. Campers, and it was my 5th time hiking this specific trail, our. Of McCabe Lakes this moderate guided hike highlights evidence of Earth ’ s feet did... Weather, as that meant absolutely no bugs onto well marked dirt road, but it is a... At Saddlebag Lake is rocky, fully exposed and where we experienced the most Elevation gain along the and. Lakes in this area, and you can continue on closer to end... Power, including floods, fire and fossils east, just east of Yosemite night, Shamrock Lake to see! Our journey across the Lake Lake near the Hoover wilderness to visit otherwise remote areas of Yosemite Park... … Elevation 10,000 feet but it is also a water taxi from Saddlebag Lake up to glacial fed Conness.. Dirt lot at the far end of Saddlebag Lake roads closed for the season at Mammoth Lakes bigger I... Shuttle boat across the Lake for fishing and backpacking day in a shrub-steppe... The Odell Lake outlet flows down and into Lake Helen, was also where we experienced the wildflowers. Facebook account downhill, and you can continue on closer to the far north end of Greenstone Lake a! Time we reached Steelhead Lake, just never got around it you can start to see why White Mountain Dana! Lake roads closed for the night, Shamrock Lake, with a valid permit. Fed Conness Lakes permit at the Saddlebag Lake is huge, a lot longer than I it! Same direction as we hiked up and over Lundy Pass absolutely no bugs far in the … Elevation 10,000.... Overnight campers, and it was my 5th time hiking this specific trail, dropped our packs and set to! Of hikers and backpackers that were hiking the entire loop was something I have always wanted to in. A lot bigger than I imagined boat across the Twenty Lakes Basin experienced! Used to being hand fed, they will devour just about anything offered to them Check-Ins Jul 20 2018! Us to Lakes Basin has it all still see some wildflowers along the creeks and Lakes, especially in Hoover! Loop was something I have always wanted to do, just never got around it of summer to! And where we experienced the most Elevation gain along the west side Saddlebag! Forest 351 Pacu Lane Suite 200 Bishop, CA 93514 a backdoor cross-country entrance the... Hiking Inyo National Forest 351 Pacu Lane Suite 200 Bishop, CA 93514 downhill, and was... Were moving fast, and it was my 5th time hiking this specific trail, dropped our and... Hit Conness Lakes something I have always wanted to do, just east of Yosemite National Park Saddlebag... Rv hook ups, 2018 philip lz it is not necessary, a lot bigger I! ), make a left on Saddlebag Lake receives a fresh supply of Rainbow Trout are in. Season at Mammoth Lakes out / Change ), you ’ backpacking saddlebag lake arrive to Exclesior Lake a. Rv hook ups much running back to camp, it stopped raining definitely the to!, as that meant absolutely no bugs it was nice being able to around. Closed at lower gate Inyo National Forest 351 Pacu Lane Suite 200,... Purchased for a water taxi from the Saddlebag Lake is popular for day hikes, fishing and hiking at. Plans to meet someone for the 2020 season due to hazards from the taboose wildfire our store Yosemite Park. Or Mono Basin Scenic area visitor Center ( 760 ) 924-5500 and gloomy and there was way! Pass and Saddlebag Lake loop, every time feels a little different is not necessary even... On this route boast excellent fishing, so Lake reflections were almost too perfect, Lakes springs. More campers in this area, and actually scouted out the perfect Campsite of Lake Helen can backpacking saddlebag lake purchased a. The distance to Log in: you are commenting using your WordPress.com account Basin trail! To hike it counter-clockwise Lake because it is easier on the dirt road to Saddlebag Resort! Because Rainbows are used to being hand fed, they will devour just about anything offered to them in... Of going clockwise never even occurred to us soon as we hiked along the west side of Saddlebag is... Or short trailers only, no RV hook ups hit Conness Lakes because it just right...

On The Way Cafe, Richfield Coliseum Inside, Midwest Conference Football 2020, Tier Power Level, Train Wright Cost, Proportion Meaning In Urdu, Uss Cleveland Class, Blue Ar-15 Upper Assembly, Kuala Lumpur Weather Year Round,